Asearly as 6,000 years ago, our ancestors developed Dalian area. In Qin and Handynasties, Dalian was subjected to Liaodong County jurisdiction. In the earlyTang Dynasty, Dalian was under the jurisdiction of Anton Frontier CommandHeadquarters Jili Prefecture. In Liao Dynasty, Dalian was under thejurisdiction of Liaoyang Prefecture of Dongjing. Dalian was named Sanshan inWei and Jin Period, Sanshanpu in Tang dynasty, Sanshanhaikou or Qingniwakou inMing and Qing dynasty. In 1880s, the Qing Dynasty built a harbor bridge, forts,and torpedo battalion, which became the town later, in today’s north harbor ofDalian. Invaded by Russia, Dalian wasonce named Qingniwa.
InSeptember 1899, with the construction of Dalian Port, Dalian City was formallyestablished.
InSeptember 1945, the Preparatory Committee of Dalian Workers' Union was set up.
InOctober 1945, Comrade Han Guang was designated as the Secretary of DalianMunicipal Party Committee by Northeast Bureau of CPC Central Committee. CPCDalian Municipal Committee was constituted and Dalian Municipal Government wasestablished.
In1984, Dalian was approved as coastal open cities by the State Council
In1985, Dalian was listed as municipalities with independent planning status byState Council, enjoying provincial economic management authority.